CHICKEN, CHORIZO AND CHICKPEAS
2 T olive oil
4 whole chicken legs (I just used mixed portions x8)
100g chorizo sausage, thickly sliced
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 t cumin seeds
1/2 t smoked paprika
400g can chopped tomatoes in juice
1/2 c chicken stock (I used Vegeta stock, delish!)
400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Heat the oven to 180oC
- Heat 1 T oil in a large frypan over a medium-high heat and brown the chicken on both sides. Transfer to an ovenproof casserole dish. Brown the chorizo slices on both sides and add to the chicken.
- Lower the heat, add the remaining oil, onion and garlic and cook gently until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin seeds and smoked paprika and cook for 30 seconds.
- Pour in the tomatoes and stock and add the chickpeas. Bring to the boil then pour over the chicken and chorizo.
- Cover and place in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Serve with plenty of rice to soak up all the sauce and raita (yoghurt, cucumber and mint sauce).
- If you are handy with sharp kitchen scissors or a knife, use a whole chicken and cut into 6 pieces.
- I used my dutch oven for the whole process, just rested chicken on paper towels while cooking the sauce.
- When capsicums come into season, deseed and dice and add to the tomato for extra sweetness.